Marriage Settlement Agreement & Time Sharing

Posted on Mon, Oct 09, 2017

Memorandums prepared by attorneys (it is important to remember that memorandums are arguments in the law. It is almost never a black-and-white issue.  Some arguments consist of the below:

Issue: Whether modifying an agreed upon parenting plan is appropriate where the plan does not include a specific time sharing schedule after the child is no longer a newborn.

Read More

Memorandum of Law: Whether former wife should be allowed to relocate the minor child to Texas.

Posted on Fri, Aug 18, 2017

Florida statute 6.13001 governs whether a parent can relocate a child more than 50 miles from his or her principal place of residence at the time of the last order establishing or modifying time sharing. The statute provides that “the parent or other person wishing to relocate has the burden of proving by a preponderance of the evidence that relocation is in the best interest of the child. If that burden of proof is met, the burden shifts to the non-relocating parent or other person to show by a preponderance of the evidence that the proposed relocation is not in the best interest of the child.”

Read More

Is a Court Bound by the Recommendation of a Child's Therapist?

Posted on Wed, Jul 26, 2017

It is the intent of Florida law, that the trial court have executive decision making of time sharing arrangements. Florida judges are required to apply the "best interest" standard in making decisions concerning time sharing and parental responsibility of children.  In any decision involving a child, even one where an expert was provided an opinion, where two parents have an agreed upon arrangement, the court must evaluate the best interest of a child when making a decision concerning that child's relationship with their parent. 

Read More

Marital Bank Accounts: Learn How They Can Be Used During Divorce

Posted on Tue, Jul 18, 2017

Equitable distribution should not include financial accounts that our client's are forced to use during divorce proceedings. It does not matter what the balance of the checking account was on the date of filing. If there was no misconduct, that balance is not subject to equitable distribution. A spouse has the right to deplete marital assets during the pendency of litigation to pay support, living expenses, litigation expenses, etc. The court should not include assets that have been diminished or dissipated during dissolution proceedings in an equitable distribution screen. A trial court commits reversible error by including assets depleted during dissolution proceedings in an equitable distribution screen, unless the spouse commits misconduct when depleting such assets.

Read More

Bridge-The-Gap, Durational & Permanent Alimony

Posted on Thu, Jun 29, 2017

Bridge-the-gap alimony is designed to assist a party with legitimate identifiable short-term needs. Durational alimony is designed to provide a party with economic assistance for a set period of time following a marriage of short or moderate duration if there is no need for permanent support. Permanent alimony is designed to provide the needs and necessities of life as they were established during the marriage. A trial court’s discretion regarding alimony is not limitless. Rather, this discretionary authority is subject to the test of reasonableness, which requires a determination of whether there is logic and justification for the result. 

Read More

What's the Difference Between Paternity & Divorce Action?

Posted on Thu, May 04, 2017

Family law does not just deal with divorce or formerly married couples for post-divorce actions. Family law also covers paternity actions. That is basically when people have children born out of wedlock. There are many times when people move in together, they do not get married and they build a life together as if they were married. One party will purchase a house and both parties will act as if it is jointly owned, but in fact it is not. Basically, only one person’s name is on the Deed and the other person decides, for whatever reason, not to put their name on the Deed. I’ve had many clients come to me over the years in this situation who want to get half of the equity out of the house. This is where the fundamental difference between a paternity action and a divorce action really kicks in. Basically, equitable distribution. 

Read More

Can a person get a credit for child support arrearage that accrued during the time he resided with the child, even where he did not seek a modification order in advance of time the payments were due?

Posted on Mon, May 01, 2017

 Can a person get a credit for child support arrearage that accrued during the time he resided with the child, even where he did not seek a modification order in advance of time the payments were due? This question comes up a lot. Basically, let’s say you have a child support obligation and the child comes to live with you for a while. First and foremost, nothing is guaranteed, you must file a motion to temporarily abate the child support or some type of motion for modification or something like that. It is always best case scenario for you to file something with the court. But let’s say you don’t. Let’s say the child lives with you for about a year and you just stop paying child support because you don’t feel like you should have to because the child lives with you. The thinking is obviously logical, but courts are not always logical, obviously. In a case, a person was ordered to pay child support to the petitioner. The date of the order was 2003. In 2007, the parties began residing together with the child again. For approximately four and a half years between 2007 and 2013, they were residing together for periods of time. The respondent requested the court give him some credit toward the arrearage that accrued during those times. He did not seek a modification order, as the parties had mutually decided to reside together again, the respondent was contributing to the support of the child in the home. Obviously. The respondent was paying rent, electricity, food, everything like that. Now in this circumstance, my goodness I cannot explain to you how important it is for you to go and file something with the court. But if you have a situation similar to this, which many people do, there is case law that helped you out.

Read More

Is it lawful for a court to excuse an arrearage from past due child support to the date when the children respectfully reach the age of majority rather than the date of filing the petition to modify?

Posted on Thu, Apr 27, 2017


Is it lawful for a court to excuse an arrearage from past due child support to the date when the children respectfully reach the age of majority rather than the date of filing the petition to modify?

A hypothetical situation: Client made unsuccessful attempts to modify his child support obligation at the time each of the three children involved reached the age of majority. While a petition to modify the child support amounts should have been filed earlier, the law does not preclude the court from excusing the support arrearages that have recently accumulated. These arrearages only recently began to accumulate and all the arrearages are for children that have attained the age of majority. The language of the final judgment clearly indicates it was not the trial court’s intention, at that time, for respondent to still be paying support for the children. 

Read More

Child Custody & Psychotherapist Patient Privilege

Posted on Mon, Mar 27, 2017

Can a parent in a time sharing modification proceeding waive their minor child’s psychotherapist patient privilege and if an exception to the psychotherapist patient privilege exists when there is an ongoing social investigation involving time share with the minor child?

Florida statute 90.503 concerns the psychotherapist patient privilege. One applicable definition of a psychotherapist is “a person licensed or certified as a…family therapist, or mental health counselor under the laws of this state, who is engaged primarily in the diagnosis or treatment of a mental or emotional condition…” “A ‘patient’ is a person who consults, or is interviewed by, a psychotherapist for purposes of diagnosis or treatment of a mental or emotional condition…” A communication between a psychotherapist and a patient is generally confidential. A patient has a privilege to refuse to disclose, and to prevent any other person from disclosing, confidential communications or records made for the purpose of diagnosis or treatment of the patient’s mental or emotional condition between the patient and a psychotherapist. 90.503(2), Florida statutes (2013). The privilege may be claimed by, among others, the patient or guardian of the patient. There is no privilege in the course of a court ordered examination of the mental or emotional condition of the patient. 90.503, Florida statutes.

Read More

Alimony & Standard of Living

Posted on Fri, Feb 17, 2017

When calculating alimony, should the former wife’s standard of living be based upon income that the former husband began earning after the marriage has ended or upon the income of the former husband earned during the marriage?

The purpose of alimony is well settled in Florida, to provide the needs and necessities of life to a former spouse as they were established by the marriage of the parties.  It follows that in fixing the amount of support payments, the standard of living to be used is that last shared by the spouses during the marriage. 

Read More

Tell Us About Your Case

  • FREE eBook

    "15 Tips for Navigating a Divorce"


  • Receive Blog Notifications