Enforcement of Divorce Decree and Final Order

Enforcement of a divorce decree, or any other final order in family law, is by a motion for contempt.  If a parent is not allowing the proper timesharing, or restricting it in any way, a motion for contempt is used to stop this.  If a court finds that a parent is guilty of unreasonably interrupting visitation or time-sharing or contact, a court could make the offending party pay attorneys fees or even put the person in jail.  Another little known power the court has is to make the offending party do public service such as feed the homeless or pick up trash on the side of the road.  If the interruption in contact is significant and consistent enough, a court can even change full custody through a contempt proceeding.  For more information on child custody and enforcement of divorce decree contact our attorneys in Jacksonville, Fleming Island, Daytona or Gainesville, Florida.

By Kenny Leigh

Tell Us About Your Case

  • FREE eBook

    "15 Tips for Navigating a Divorce"


  • Receive Blog Notifications

    Recent Posts